Welcome Blogettes

To me, beauty is the mid point between what you’ve got and what you want - the effort we put in to ourselves to enhance our features, hide some flaws, and have fun in the process.
You can choose the technically challenging and rather expensive professional route, or you can follow me and cheat your way to gorgeous.
Take it from me... cheating never felt so good.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Makeup Monday: Dual Personality.

How is it already March?
How is it already March and I have yet to find the perfect leather booties, or finish the last Twilight... or take a vacation day? [the answer to the last one I know, and am still frumpled about - did you know I had the option to hit up the Bahamas this past week?]

It's makeup Monday - yay! I think one of the things that seems to resonate in a positive way with the peeps who read this blog is the fact that I try to be as realistic as I can. I understand that not many people share my enthusiasm for finding the perfect lipliner, the best deep conditioner, or the amazing Orgasm blush that imparts the most perfect glow. I also understand that not many of you will own seven bronzers, ten mascaras, or thirteen blushes [not that I own that many...] - so today's MM will revolve around the products in your makeup bag that have two or three different uses, so you can maximize your look without struggling to zip up your makeup bag.

Your concealer can double as...
an eyeshadow primer or even an eyeshadow. Priming the lids of your eyes not only helps your shadow last longer, but it makes application smoother and creasing a thing of the past. After you pat on your concealer, use your ring finger to pat concealer all over your lid and on to your brow bone to eliminate any lid discoloration or oiliness. Like the way that looks? Then leave it! I love a neutral eye and at least three days a week I skip shadow and just tightline and add mascara to my primed eye and it's the perfect daytime look.

Your eyeshadow can double as...
a contour color. I am a firm believer that every girl should own a neutral, matte brown shadow - it matches any eye colour, and is great as a crease colour or a base for a smokey eye. It's also great for your cheeks! I wrote a while back about how to contour your cheekbones to slim your face using bronzer, which is great; however, not everyone owns bronzer, and if you have small features or a tiny face [head? how do I say that?] using bronzer may be overload - and that's where the shadow comes in. After you apply your blush, take your brown shadow on an eyeshadow brush and lightly tap the brush under your cheekbone, following the bone structure up to your ear. Blend well, and voila - contour!

Your lipstick can double as...
blush! Cream blush that is. Strapped for time? Looking for a quick pick me up and don't have a blush brush with you? Dab a small amount of lipstick on the apples of your cheeks and using your middle and ring finger gently buff [circle] the colour into your skin, moving upwards towards your ears. Hold on, to clarify - I'm talking about lipsticks in the pink range, and I'm talking about lipstick - not lip gloss or lip balm - ew.

Your blush can double as...
brow highlight. Adding a lighter colour to your brow bone instantly perks up your face and brings life to your eyes. Don't own a highlight? After you put on your blush, sweep the brush on to your brow bones with whatever product is left on the brush - it will impart a subtle colour that will add some sparkle to your eyes.

Your eyeliner can double as...
brow filler. Another firm belief? Every girl should own a light brown eyeliner. We all know eyeliner enhances the eyes, but this liner can also be used to fill in your brows. I love eyebrows and really believe that great brows can make an entire look. What you can do is take your liner, sharpen it, and using small strokes gently follow the hairs in your brows, filling in any sparse areas.

Your mascara can double as...
foundation. haha just kidding. In the MM post a while back, I admitted my love for all things lashes. In that, I mentioned the technique of using your mascara to double as eyeliner. This is a great tip and I do this almost daily, it makes the base of your lashes look thicker without worrying about messy liner. What you do, is after coating your lashes a couple times [starting at the tip, we all love a game of just the tip] take the brush and place it right at the base of your lashes and twist outwards. This will cause your eyelid to raise up slightly and the brush will touch your inner waterline. Wiggle the brush a couple times while its touching the waterline - the mascara will be perfectly tightlined with your lashes creating drama, volume, and thickness. WIN.

Your bronzer can double as...
a cleavage booster. I've only done this once, and if you know me you know I prefer things to be a little smaller in this area [note: that comment refers only to the chest]. However, I know a couple ladies mom that would love some extra boost for those deep white lace V necks we all wear to work, so here's a tip. Take bronzer on a big powder brush and apply it to your chest in a V formation, with the bottom of the V being both horizontally and vertically in the middle of your boobs. The colour should sweep up and out over each side. BLEND. Using a darker colour in the middle of your chest like this makes the illusion of a deeper hollow, which would normally be created by bigger ta-tas. Need a visual? I learned this tip from my all time favourite MUA, Melissa - click here to watch.

There are lots of makeup items with dual personalities but those are a few of my favourites that I use on a weekly basis at least. Some days I envy you girls that have a half empty make up bag [probably an old Clinique Bonus Time one] that you can throw in a suitcase or in your purse and have everything with you; then I think of having to give away my seven bronzers, ten mascaras, and thirteen blushes [along with all my other colourful possessions] and I get rashes all over my perfectly V'd Anjelina Jolie chest. FAIL.

Have a lovely week blogettes,
xxLM

No comments:

Post a Comment