Welcome Blogettes

To me, beauty is the mid point between what you’ve got and what you want - the effort we put in to ourselves to enhance our features, hide some flaws, and have fun in the process.
You can choose the technically challenging and rather expensive professional route, or you can follow me and cheat your way to gorgeous.
Take it from me... cheating never felt so good.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Cheap Date Friday: The Kitchen Hair Mask



TGIF blogettes, TGIF.
What are you doing this weekend? Me? I'll be spending time in Target. Jealous?

A couple weeks ago I gave you recipes for at home face masks, did you try them? The egg white one is the best, tightens your pores and takes out redness, especially mixed with a couple drops of lemon juice.

If I had to choose between a face mask or a hair mask, I'd definitely pick hair. Hair masks are good no matter what type of hair you have and can drastically change the condition of your strands. If you suffer from a lot of static hair in the winter, you should deep condition or do a hair mask at least once a week, especially to prevent the cold winds from damaging the hair cuticles.

Hair masks can be expensive especially if you don't do them regularly, so here are a couple recipes for quick, at home hair treatments that will leave you soft and shiny in 20 minutes :)

Avocado & Olive Oil - Mash up a ripe avocado, add 1 tablespoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix until it becomes a creamy texture, apply to your hair and let it sit for 20 minutes. Rinse out with shampoo.

Banana and Almond (great for dry, damaged hair) - mash up a ripe banana and add in a couple drops of almond oil (you can get at healthfood stores). Apply for 30 minutes and rinse out with shampoo.

Egg Yolk & Milk - sounds sick, but is really nourishing. Beat only the yolk of an egg until it is frothy and add one cup of milk. Run it through your hair concentrating on the ends and leave in for about 15 minutes, rinse well.

Coconut Oil - I mentioned this as my obsession on Wednesdays mash up post, and this puppy has transformed my hair in a week. Coconut oil is apparently one of the few oils that can penetrate deep into the hair cuticle unlike some others that just sit on top, and if you had a choice, I'm sure you'd choose something that would penetrate rather than just sit on top [did that go too far?]. Coconut oil is sold at healthfood stores and is in solid form, but melts very easily. I take a big chunk and warm it in my hands until it is completely melted into the oil, run through my hair and practice my french braiding skills. Sleep with it in overnight (its not greasy at all) and shampoo as usual in the morning and I swear, soft, shiny hair that looks so healthy - I love it.

For Blondes... Take a pint of water and add in a couple drops of lemon juice. After you shampoo, rinse with this solution - the lemon will take out any brassy tones that have settled in to your hair over time, leaving your blonde bright and shiny!

I can't remember the last time my hair was my natural colour so you can rest assured that all of these are safe for colour treated hair. I've tried them all, even the lemon juice one when I was blonde last year and they all work; however, if I had to pick a favourite, it'd be coconut oil. As you read Wednesday, it's also great as an eye makeup remover, body lotion (keep a small bowl of it in the shower and let it melt with the steam, once you've turned the water off rub in onto wet skin and pat dry - glowy, soft skin all day), and has actually turned out to be great on any rashes or skin irritations - WIN.

Since I'll be at Target this weekend there will be no skincare saturday, but I promise I'll write it Sunday night... better late than never right?

xxLM

*photo courtesy of InStyle.com


No comments:

Post a Comment